Monday, May 16, 2011

Artist Statement

The big idea for my project is family, i feel as if family is the most important thing in a persons life.  The theme I chose for this specific work is divorce, and the loneliness and feeling of your world being turned upside down.  I came to this theme because I grew up with a loving family and thought it would always remain that way.  My freshmen year my parents filed for divorce and I feel the emotional state change brought on by this set of events is something I have always been interested in expressing.  The two images show the same couple in the first image the couple is in focus and surrounded by bright light, wedding vowels, a heart, and a wedding ring.  This represents a couple  being engulfed by a marriage and the happiness associated with it.  The second image is of polar opposite the couple is out of focus and upside down, it is hard to tell what the people within this image even look like.  Them being upside down represents their worlds being turned upside down by the sudden break in the relationship, and the image being without color represents the feelings of depression often associated with divorce.  The lightning bolts within the hearts represent their relationship being struck down, while the scissors cutting the ring represent this sudden break.

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a great job expressing the message behind your project. Putting the top image upside down was such a good idea for trying to get the meaning of "your world being turned upside down" across. The bottom image is very clear on the fact that it is a happy couple that had been married in 2007 along with the wedding band and the "I do" phrase. I love the contrast in color between the two, where red is a color of love and passion and black being just the opposite. Great working blending the wording into the background of the bottom image and I like the light burst around the heart shape as well, very creative.

    ReplyDelete